Skip to main content

How To Be A Toy Collector Part 2: Budget!

If you had all the money in the world, would you buy every toy you want?

This is a tough question. I'm sure most people would say "yes". But as a comic book fan when I found a way to be able to get every issue I wanted digitally I suddenly realized the folly that was my collecting desire.

There were times when I would just get issues just because I was a completest. And I recognize that this is the way my collecting brain works. I got all the Nerf guns I wanted and then I moved on. I got all the Iron Man 2 figures I wanted..and I moved on.


I got tired of the stories in the Marvel Comic books so I moved on.

I know that one day I will I will get tired of collecting toys and move on.

So I'm sure you will find that as a toy collector either a line will hold your interest until it dies (Marvel Legends, U.S. Gundam Toys)

Or you'll collect them until you complete the line. In the case of a current or defunct line. (Transformers Cybertron, Sigma 6)

So The fact that you have all the money in the world just means that you will be continually buying things, and you're taste will be changing. IT'S CAPITALISM!!! Spend. Spend. Spend.

So now that you know that your collecting well will never go dry. You must prepare yourself not to go broke.

I have to be honest here. These are tips That I use to lessen the blow, as a single guy and former nerd, I have been in the ramen noodles situation, or the pay my bills later after I get the item. That's called "living by the seat of your pants" and it's not good.

If you have an understanding significant other, you know that there are days when "SHE" has to pull the reins back. But if you're single (and not living with your mom) You have free reign.

So I'm here to give a little insight into my buying habits.

  1. Don't buy something you don't like.
  2. Pay your bills!
  3. Buy at the retailer that has the lowest price, unless necessary.
  4. Try Ebay.
  5. If you are planning on selling something on the secondary market. Find out if it's worth it.
  6. Focus on one line at the time.
  7. Big ticket items go last.
  8. Put a limit on how much you are willing to spend on toys.

A long time ago I dropped the buy 3 rule. Because it was becoming too expensive. My rule this year is that I will only go loco when Toys R Us has their sale. Otherwise I will only pick up figures that I don't already have.

But keep in mind that last year I was collecting Gundam model kits, which has kinda been a bust because I don't have the time to build the kits,  and I'm thinking of selling the ones that I bought because I thought they were cheap.

I also have a bad habit of buying more than one of figures that I really like, when I can't find what I'm looking for. But with gundams I don't see the appeal of building more than one of the same.

But no more of that.

Also I will see that I only get my stuff from Target. Unless it's a store exclusive.

Take a look at your collection, Is there stuff that you bought and didn't really want to. It's time to make your collection count!

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Halo Micro Ops Wish list!

OK! So series 1 is in stores which consists in:




Warthog and Mongoose2 ODST Drop PodsGhost and Wolf Spider TurretBansheeFalconHigh Ground BunkerHigh Ground GateHigh Ground Tower We know Series 2 which comes out next year consist of these guys:

Top 10 Halo Reach Figures!!!

To end the year of doom 2012, I'm making this list and checking it twice.

Sadly the most you will find in stores is series 6. All these figures are awesome. EVEN THE SABRE PILOT!!! (with his obnoxious eyebrows).

So here you go, from 10 to 1...

MY TOP 10 HALO REACH ACTION FIGURES!!!

 10. Carter:



The leader of Noble Team and one of the coolest armor designs comes in at number 10. Not because he's the worst, but because it might be too obvious if he's number 1. I love the Commando armor, the blue color and the distinctive markings.