Skip to main content

Toy Topic: Stuff Toy Buyers do That I hate

After being semi accused of being a scalper, or whatever that was. I started to think of the things that I associate with scalpers.

And I realized it's not the fact that they get to the merchandise before me. Or that they take all the good figures. Like I said, you got to play to win. No one wants second place. Like the great Sean Connery said..




It's the messed up stuff that they do to the rest of us. I already talked about toy returns and swapping merchandise but in this post I guess I will compile it all together. "Ok here we go. Kamen Rider Agito!"

  1. Unnecessary Toy Returns: After you read the above link about toy returns I'm gonna add an addendum here. The thing that bugs me about returns is when it's done unnecessarily. I believe when you buy a product it's for keeps. Unless something happens to it. I don't like the idea that people buy something to return it when they find it for a better price. It can be done. But I don't like when people do it. Especially when you are returning a bunch of peg warmers. At least return something that will sell. Also this will mark you in a bad way with the employees. (Uh oh here comes Returny Returnerson) and eventually they will catch on to your tricks.
  2. Toy Swapping: I already talked about this. There is a link above. This is stealing plain and simple. A deranged toy collector can try to justify this as "sticking it to the man" or "it's not really stealing because nothing is missing." The fact of the matter is that any person who knows better will never buy it. Some poor sucker who doesn't will. And if it doesn't sell it will be marked as DDR (Destroyed Damaged Returned) So no one wins.
  3. Make A Mess: I can understand that on big holidays the store is a mess, between the kids and the abnormal amount of customers stuff will get messy. But when your the first guy in the store and you start making a mess of the Hot Wheels. I won't like you, and neither will the employees.
  4. Harass Employees: As a former stock boy, I understand that the purpose of the store is to sell. But if you don't see something on the pegs, and you ask me to get something and for whatever reason I tell you there aren't anymore. Don't harass me. Just like you can't force a girl who doesn't want to kiss you to kiss you. You can't make a stock boy get more stuff from the back, just because you believe he's lazy or you're at Wal*Mart. Like they say "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." So be nice, and the next time they will gladly help you out. The customer isn't always right, the store just wants you to think you are.
  5. Overprice Regular Toys at Conventions: I've talked about this in my Toy scalper post. But the fact is as a New Yorker I can eventually find what I want for a good price. But if you are in a small town and you go to a convention chances are you will have to fork over 30 dollars for that clear Vision. Toy stores have the advantage that they can clear out a store of all their "rare" and "variant" figures. So that upsets me. The funny thing is when you see a peg warmer going for ridiculous prices. (Extremis Iron man I'm looking at you!)
  6. Hide Items in other parts of the Store: Look, if you can't buy something now don't think that hiding something in the other isle or another section is gonna keep it secure long enough for you to come back later and buy it. Every night stores get their isle fixed, and things that are out of place get put back where they belong. All you're doing is denying that child the toy you're hiding. (Or that scalper.)
  7. Take all The Variants and Chase Figures and the 1 per case figures: If you get there first you win! And I'm OK with that. But if you are looking at the bottom section of the Marvel Legends wall, don't get in my way when I go for the top. Or if we both co-operate to get the stock guy to bring more toys down, you know I want some variants or rare figures. Don't take them all and leave me with the rest.
  8. Take Toys out of a Crying Baby's Hands: I've heard horror stories about this one. It's rare to see kids in a store early with their parents. But I've seen it. Especially at the Times Square Toys R Us. Kids don't have the disposable income that we as adults have. So if you see a kid hovering around some rare figs. Wait till he leaves, so you can do your "collector thing." 
  9. Sell Items to people at the same venue after they've bought it: This would only be a convention thing and it's new to me. I haven't seen it yet because at the conventions I went to I was into Gundam at the time. And trust me when it comes to variant and rare in the Gundam community it's fairly easy. And it consists mostly of metallic versions, cleat versions and repaints.  You can read one toy review site's plight here and here. Companies have to be more organized with their exclusives. 

I'm sure we have seen or done some of these things to an extent. I've heard that tiny car collectors are the worse, or the "Hot Wheels Guys."  Due to the inexpensive nature of the cars, they're easy to collect.

"See no evil , hear no evil" I don't care what you do as a toy collector. As long as I don't know about it. I'm sure as I type this some collector is returning a peg warmer he got cheap to a store and getting the full price. But these are the things that toy buyers do that I don't like. And what comes to mind when I call someone a "scalper." Don't be that dude.

Popular Posts

New Stuff For "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" Cartoon

While watching the special features on the Avengers DVD's they announced new looks and new characters for the series, which is awesome!

I like the series and the way they tackle stories for the Marvel Universe. The Ultimates line of comics did the same thing, but somehow they got it wrong. These guys got it right.

Top 5 Halo Micro Ops Wish list!

OK! So series 1 is in stores which consists in:




Warthog and Mongoose2 ODST Drop PodsGhost and Wolf Spider TurretBansheeFalconHigh Ground BunkerHigh Ground GateHigh Ground Tower We know Series 2 which comes out next year consist of these guys:

Halo: New York Toy Fair 2012

Wow! I didn't expect much from McFarlane but I am impressed. Even though my toy heart was broken by the realization that Halo Reach ends with series 6 ( I expected an unhelmeted Emile and Noble Six? in Series 7) But as long as the scale of the new stuff sticks with Reach I'll be happy. If not I hope the quality control gets better.

Here's the stuff I'm excited for!


Super Hero Squad Online Review

If you haven't gotten my open invitation to the beta, and accepted it. You're missing out on being a Marvel Super Hero. Unlike DC's MMORPG you can play as Thor, or Spider-Man if you wanted to. But lets go into the review shall we.

Captain America and Wolverine: Marvel Universe Greatest Battles Comic Pack

Lo! There came a day when I decided to do a written review and it was good! Or so I think.


Size Comparison - Halo Reach Video Series

I love the Halo Reach line of figures from McFarlane Toys. I don't know why I didn't jump on the bandwagon earlier.

But I've always gotten into toy lines after or near the end of their run. I don't know why, it just is.

Anyway..



Toy Topic: How much are your toys worth?

I was out doing stuff today and I ran into a old friend.

Top 10 Halo Reach Figures!!!

To end the year of doom 2012, I'm making this list and checking it twice.

Sadly the most you will find in stores is series 6. All these figures are awesome. EVEN THE SABRE PILOT!!! (with his obnoxious eyebrows).

So here you go, from 10 to 1...

MY TOP 10 HALO REACH ACTION FIGURES!!!

 10. Carter:



The leader of Noble Team and one of the coolest armor designs comes in at number 10. Not because he's the worst, but because it might be too obvious if he's number 1. I love the Commando armor, the blue color and the distinctive markings.

Carter - Series 5 Halo Reach Action Figure Review

*****Carter Series 5*****  Halo Reach Action Figure MSRP $11.99 from Mcfarlane Toys (with new Spartan Laser)
"Sierra 259 is the commander of the special warfare group Noble Team. And this time, he's bringing a Spartan Laser to the fight!"
DESCRIPTION AND FEATURES:
This figure represents the spartan II class and stands at about 5 inches tall. Carter comes with the standard grenade and the new Spartan laser. The figure features 28 points of articulation and Carter's
armor comes in blue and grey.